Day 27 - Ruidoso Downs to Roswell

It was chilly (34°F) and misty as I started my descent from Ruidoso Downs.



Billy the Kid continues to figure prominently in local history.



Here is a post office picture just for Cathy Switzer who biked across the US last year and posted many photos of post offices on her cross country blog :-)


Next to this post office were many large and interesting sculptures.




I did not meet the artist but could hear him working away in this workshop.


Later I entered Tinnie with hopes of getting some food. Alas the restaurant there was closed :-(


There were many post offices along this route so here is another.


The descent got steeper at this location.


At last I found a place for refreshment, but it was pretty weird. I rang the doorbell and 5 minutes later a fellow comes by from a near by house to open up. The store was a mix of reused thrift items, local art, and a few snacks so I got some chips (even though they were in a standard metalized plastic chip bag) as I was super hungry.


Later I passed a lonely memorial to someone's loved ones. I've passed dozens of these but have previously posted only ones with ghost bikes. So many have died from motor vehicle crashes.


Now out of the hills but continuing a broad gentle downslope.


More wildflowers near my destination in Roswell as I wait for my warmshowers host to get back from work.



I did not get a picture of her, but my hosts' neighbor Rose came out with her binoculars to specifically yell at me that she did not like me and that I should not be on her public street because I was a stranger. Quite an un-neighborly welcome and to date the only person I've encountered on this trip that was not cordial. Luckily Peggy, one of my hosts, got home as I was conversing with Rose so helped me untangle from this, umm, thorny person.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis