Day 34 - Clinton to El Reno OK

Strong (20-30 mph) winds forecast for today so I got an early start just after sunrise.


Buzzed by but did not stop at another Route 66 Museum in Clinton OK.


Back on a mostly deserted Route 66 with rolling hills ahead and I40 to either the left or right.



My RideWithGPS routing lead me off of Route 66 onto a pretty country road...


...which then took a turn and put me on 4 miles of dirt road again. I feel like Charlie Brown with Lucy pulling the football away at the last minute. Argh.


Here are some cylindrical bales which are popular here.


Alas I also ran across lots and lots of that green bale wrap along the roadside -- a definite downside to those round bales. The rectangular ones do not seem to need any wrapping, just baling twine.


Many more windmills in the distance.


Finally got back to pavement with more rolling hills.

Some places do offer a free lunch (no I did not stop).

I did stop here for lunch though.




Route 66 was quite pleasant most of the time and I'm now seeing lots more trees.


And quite a few patches of purple.


And crossing lots more creeks.


With water in them too.


A couple of cows got loose and were greatly enjoying new vegetation.


Of course I passed many farm houses...



This one is unique. I tried to get an additional picture from another angle but a group of dogs started running after me. They did not get that close so no bear spray needed.




I did notice quite a few of these installations. They appeared to be natural gas wells.



I crossed an extremely long bridge over the Canadian River.


It had a very wide flood plain that was mostly sand at the moment with a decent river.


Cows usually give me their undivided attention whenever I go by.


I stopped for a second lunch at a truck stop on a Cherokee reservation.


I saw quite a few more skunk roadkills plus another deer, a dog, and a few cats including this one. :-(


Here is a very large natural gas processing plant. Looks like pipelines from the earlier wells lead back to this place.



I arrived just after they locked their gates but this Grasslands Research Lab would have been an interesting stop.


I passed Redlands Community College.


After a very windy day (mostly side winds luckily), I decided to treat myself with a sushi dinner. The restaurant was quite good -- Ume Japanese in El Reno, OK.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis