Day 36 - Okahoma City to Stroud OK

 Today had me dodging multiple thunderstorms. 

I love riding roads after it rains because everything is clean and fresh smelling.



While I saw lightning and heard thunder nearby, luckily I did not get hit by any thunderstorms. Here you can see me between one very big set of storm cells to the north and a smaller one to the south.


Sadly I encountered a lot of roadkill today. Here is a dog and a possum. Also saw a coyote, a deer, and more skunks.



Horses seem to really like watching bicyclists go by.


Lots of woods in this area.


That small Smart car could fit in the back of the big pickup truck.


I love going down country roads.


But this one turned into gravel/dirt.


Then back into pavement.


Then back into dirt. But at least it was very pretty.




The line of thunderstorms were thankfully well past me by this point.


A bull and some other cattle.



On one side of this road was a large estate with a 6 car garage behind it.



And across the street was a tired mobile home.


Here are a couple of industrial factories -- film and tubing.



The winds had picked up by this point with a 20+ mph southerly side wind. Just after this point, my route turned north and I enjoyed an awesome tailwind for about 20 miles.


At this great BBQ place in Meeker OK...



...I met Faith, Sam, and Cleda. One of the things I like most about biking is that people are very interested in talking to cyclists. Bicycling is a great icebreaker.


Saw more cows.


And some wild turkeys.



In Chandler I visited the Route 66 Interpretive Center.





And talked to Susan about zero waste. Her youngest daughter is studying environmental sciences.


Many cows I see are spooked by bicyclists and run away, but the horses just glance at me as I pass by.


I reached Stroud in the mid afternoon.


And encountered a place with hundreds of big cranes.


Apparently it is a crane factory and/or refurbishing firm.


I've also encountered a number of combo RV Park & Pawn shop establishments.


Looks like you can buy your own personal little oil well pump here.


My first motel of the evening...


..gave me the willies because I found bed bugs in my bed after taking an early nap there. Yuck!!!



I got a refund and evacuated to a different motel for the rest of the evening.  Thankfully I had placed my bike and equipment against a wall well away from my bed. I took a second shower after checking into my second hotel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis