Day 32 - Conway to Shamrock TX

Back on the road again I had a chilly brisk headwind in the morning under cloudy skies.


The local farmers here seem to prefer large rolled bales of hay.


Near Groom TX, there was a very, very big cross. Of course everything in Texas needs to be big :-)




This water dip near a school has a dip stick so you can see how deep it is before attempting to drive through it.


Here is the leaning (water) tower of Texas.


Windmills all over the place in this part of Texas and into the distance.


The GPS directions wanted me to go on some county (in other words dirt) roads but I chose to ride Interstate 40 / Route 66 instead.


On the Interstate there was a very cool Route 66 rest stop.







I've seen quite a few DWI reminder signs in Texas.


There was a nice frontage road so I decided to switch to it off of the Interstate to get away from all the big trucks.


Alas as it took a turn away from the interstate, it turned into dirt. But later turned back into a paved road.


After that experience I decided to get back on the Interstate.



But the trucks were annoying so when the frontage road seemed to be back close to the interstate, I went back to it and saw this very nice motor bike just parked on the side waiting for its rider.


Further down the frontage road was an RV park.


Also some stashes of junk tires.


In McClean I went down their main street,


visited their library,




and met the librarian and one of her customers who were impressed by my zero waste efforts.


As it turns out the kids there had made lots and lots of bookmarks to remind people to be environmentally conscious.


Before riding more I needed sustenance so stopped at the local Chuck Wagon.





Back on the road, I saw yet another skunk roadkill. This one relatively fresh and smelly.


At last I reached Shamrock after 10-20 miles of gentle descent and no more headwinds.



Visited a classic old Route 66 gas station.


With a plaque to document it.



Checked into a $30/night motel that had clean rooms but uneven floors and thin walls.


At least it had a picnic area.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis