Day 39 - Vinita OK, thru Kansas, to Joplin MO

BK and his wife Barbara were excellent couchsurfing hosts. The night before they welcomed me with tons of food at their regular Sunday night potluck with friends. In the morning BK made eggs for me for breakfast.


It was cloudy and 32°F when I departed.


Frosty too.


I was sad to see this pile of junk near the highway.


Here is some nostalgia along Route 66.



Afton, OK has seen better days. All the buildings along its main street are now closed.


I was amazed at the super wide "bike lane" I had along this short section of road.


God, Guns, Guts, and need a Wall.


Historic 66 this morning at least had a wide smooth shoulder and a great tailwind as well. However it was chilly all day with temps mostly below 40°F.


It was very cold in Miami, OK.


Miami had a number of big water towers.


On this ride I have encountered lots of these grates parallel to a bicycle's travel in Texas, Oklahoma, and Missouri.


Saw lots more road kill skunks, opossums, squirrels, and one poor dog.


Entered Quapaw, OK...


...and ate at Dallas's Dairyette on old Route 66. Good onion rings and fried green beans.



More cows.


And then I entered Kansas.









Hey Dorothy, we aren't in Kansas anymore.


New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, and now Missouri have many places to buy fireworks.


Shortly thereafter I arrived in Carl Junction just north of Joplin for my night's warmshowers host.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis