Day 66 - Rockwood PA to Cumberland MD

Sunday April 28, Biked 47 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 3864.

Cool, cloudy, and a bit windy all day.

Left Rockwood around 9am.


Chilly and windy in the 40s. Had to ride just a bit of road to get back to the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) trail.


And then I was back on the trail again.


My first waterfall of the day.


The Husky Haven campground was highly recommended by some friends but I had elected to stay at a hostel instead since it rained last night. Adam, the Surly rider I encountered yesterday, stayed at this campground. We waved to each other as I passed by.


Then up the trail I continued. It is a steady, gradual climb from Ohiopyle to the eastern continental divide which I will cross today.


The trail was peaceful and crossed many rushing streams.







This pretty waterfall is known as Pletcher Falls.


Through my first tunnel of the day.




Encountered some hens on the trail near a farm.


It also had some cattle. A freight train passed in the distance.


I was glad the GAP trail had a firm, stable, relatively smooth, and not muddy surface. The dirt road next to it here was very, very rutted and muddy.


Rode over a very long causeway that crossed a river, 2 highways, and a railroad track.


Stopped at the Meyersdale train station.



It had lots of train exhibits inside.



After writing a couple of postcards, back on the trail I went.


Rode across this wrought iron bridge.



Down more trail.


And over another old railroad bridge.



Rode through the tunnel marking the Eastern Continental Divide.



Met Scott and Marybeth from Houston. They are hiking the GAP trail from Cumberland to Pittsburg. Their son Michael Matson was part of a 3 man team that set a rowing record across the Atlantic. At the same time he also collected water samples to measure ocean plastic.


Marybeth posed with me on the eastern side of the divide while her husband Scott took a picture of us.


Then down I went. It was a long gentle downhill for 24 miles.


Rode through the very long tunnel Savage Tunnel -- more than 3000 feet long.


It had electric lighting so was easy to navigate even without my bike's lights.


Out the other side this would normally be a wide open view but the clouds got in my way.


Passed the Mason Dixon Line.


Rode yet another tunnel.



Reached Frostburg.


This hillside had a switch back trail and lots of bicycle related art.





At lunch I met Pat, a Harvard trained lawyer who is in the process of reinventing himself.


I also met Jenny and her bold and loquacious granddaughter.


Then down more trail I went.




Nice view of Mt Savage.



Then down more trail with waterfalls.



And through another tunnel.



More trail.



The trail crossed back and forth over an active rail line but no trains on it today.


And finally into Cumberland, my stop for the night.




Got to the beginning of the C&O canal trail.



Met Vince Mackenzie while eating at the Crabby Pig. He works at the Cumberland water reclamation plant. His daughter Hollie Lynch wanted to be a school teacher but ended up working for the National Park Service instead. In 2017, she won the Freeman Tilden Award. I met some proud and successful parents today!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis