Day 50 - Robinson IL to Bloomington IN

The day started out great -- chilly at 40°F but sunny and was supposed to warm up. Just need to avoid thunderstorms later in the day. Also this was a high mileage day at about 85 miles.


Beautiful roads around Robinson IL.


And many pretty homes.






Buzzed by the library but it was too early for it to be open.


Thankfully I had tailwinds most of the day so was flying along and making great time!



Entered Indiana!


Some very full rivers.


And flooded fields.


Beautiful country roads though.



A local creek.


Continued to fly down country roads.


Lots of agriculture.


Lots of pretty purple blossoming trees.


Loved this silky smooth road moving at 20+mph on the flat with a tail wind.


Quite a bit of logging in this area.


Powerlines marching into the distance.


A bit of paved if rumbly road.


The Gathering Place was a multipurpose store with a nice lunch.


Then past the local agricultural machinery store.


Past a pond.


Down a gravely road I took very carefully after my fall yesterday.



Then I was happy to get smoother dirt.


Sadly passed a memorial to someone who lost their life.


Some rougher country road.


More dirt road.



Did not need to ride this but it is an abandoned rail line -- great place to put a trail! Go Rails to Trails Conservancy!



Turned down this somewhat sketchy dirt road as both Google Maps and RideWithGPS said this was the way to go. Biking on these dirt and gravel roads though were really slowing me up. Can only go half speed or slower despite the great tailwind.


And then a couple miles down this somewhat muddy, gravelly road, it ended!!!! Ugh!!!


After backtracking, I figured out a new route using car driving directions but avoiding limited access highways. Glad to be back on smooth road but detour adding 10 miles to my long day and had to fight some head and side winds to route around blockage.


Nonetheless pretty trees.


And ok shoulders to ride on some roads.



Getting hungry, Google Maps directed me to a Steak House that was just a burned out shell.


But at the nearby Route 67 Diner I had a good second lunch.



Back on the road with the wind at my back I passed through more Amish country.



Buzzed through Spencer.


Rode some great trails when I got to Bloomington Indiana.


Pretty flowers along the path...


...and through the woods.


Thankfully I was nearing the end. This day ended up being my second longest at 96 miles due to the unexpected re-routing I had to do.


Into a residential area.


Where I met my Warmshowers host family for the evening. Wow were they a fun group! Thanks Dan and family!

I love Warmshowers.org! If you are reading this and not yet a Warmshowers host, please consider joining. It is a great way to meet people from all over the world without needing to travel to them. They come to you.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis