Day 59 - Logan to Athens OH

Sunday April 21, Biked 40 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 3540.

Cool (40s & 50s) and cloudy most of the day.


Lots of white flowers on the roadside as I passed through Logan.


And a 4-H welcome sign!


Hopped on a bit of trail.


That was very short -- just about a 1000 feet.


It ended at this little piece of history about the C&O Canal.


Passed a nuclear services company.


And the Ohio EPA.


Saw some brick and cement making plants.



Nestle is one of the top polluters in the world. Please consider buying less trash from them.


Arrived at this creek a day early ;-)



In Nelsonville I encountered many more brick roads -- not quite a smooth as the one from yesterday but not too bad.






The First Presbyterian Church here has a very nice building!


And its service was getting out just as I arrived.


Some kids rang its bell (just like I used to do out the Presbyterian Church where my dad was a minister).


I met most of the congregation as they left their Easter service.


I even got some Easter rice crispy eggs.


I had a long and detailed talk with Cindy, a former naturalist.


Peter Galbraith, the minister, was very welcoming and noted that many in his community are active environmentalists. There is so much natural beauty in this area!


Just afterwards I dropped by Rhapsody, a fantastic gourmet restaurant with a Sunday brunch.


Needless to say I made the most of it!








I took pictures of only 2 of the 4 plate fulls of food I ate :-)



At $18, this was quite a bargain!


The Stuart Opera House here is famous.


Soon afterwards I hoped on the Hocking-Adena Bikeway for 20 miles of bicycling bliss -- flat and very scenic.


Some old train cranes...


...and cars were alongside.




Hocking College is very environmentally conscious!! Read and learn!



Lots more trail and flowers and caves!













And even a brewery.


Great signage.


Kristen, Tiger, and Kateyanne were very happy that I was bicycling to save our world. Kristen's husband is a soccer coach too -- a professional one.


Turkey and chickens.


Box car art.


Ohio University had a beautiful campus.


Shyam and Ambika (not pictured) came to see cherry blossoms but the blossoms had already bloomed. They are software engineers working in Columbus.


I met another Tim who works doing events for Ohio University.


He had a great double pull along ride for his kids. Great to see people out riding together as a family!


This little gap in the fence made it easy to reach my stay for the night at Super 8. These little things make a big difference for bicyclists.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis