Day 48 - Hamel to Altamont IL

Another cloudy start as I leave Hamel but it was relatively warm in the 60s which was nice.


Empty country roads are the best.



Then I got to ride more Madison County trials again!




After lots of smooth pavement, the trail turned to dirt/gravel.


Still beautiful riding though.



Nice markings across roads.


Lots of farms.


Another well marked crossing.


And more farms.


Even on trails, McDonald's trash can often be found :-( 

Then onto some more country roads, some rough...


...and some super smooth.



The US really likes its private land. Lots of no trespassing signs. The Scandinavian countries have "right to pass" laws that allow everyone to walk everywhere and often camp too. Different cultures, different practices.


Lots of trees and nature.



Here are a series of farms and houses.





More empty roads.





Loved all these yippy dogs behind the fence.


It is great that some people dedicate their land for wildlife and conservation.





You know you are in farming country when a town's main street features agricultural equipment sales.


Nonetheless, I had a very tasty lunch that included artistic sushi! It is amazing the surprises you can find even in small towns!


Back on the road, I encountered a lot of very, very, very big tractors and other farm machinery buzzing by.



This one was so high up you could ride a bike or drive pickup truck under it.


Here is a Madonna of the Trail -- so cool!


Right next to Illinois' previous capital.


Most (99%) of trucks give me lots of clearance when I must take the lane on a country highway. 


But then I encountered some FedEx tractor trailer trucks who did not pass with sufficient clearance so I reported them as my video was running at the time and captured their trailer numbers.



And one other who passed me with good clearance but honked loudly as he passed -- not polite. I reported him to FedEx authorities too.


Regardless, I made it to Altamont safely for the evening.




Comments

  1. it was a pleasure to talk to you today while watching turtles basking in the sun! best of luck to you on your journey, thank you for your passion about saving the earth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ken here. Wow a Madonna of the Trail! I hopeyou thought of my idea when you saw it. Hang in there strong. You're doing this, and it's awesome. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis