Day 68 - Hancock MD to Harpers Ferry WV

Tuesday April 30, Biked 52 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 3976.

Started cool and sunny then climbed into the low 80s.

Hopped on the Western Maryland Rail Trail (parallels C&O Canal trail).


At the C&O Bicycle shop, talked with Fran and Rose just before they headed out on their ride.


John adjusted my bike's disc brakes, and now I know how to do it myself (but need a torx wrench for the adjustment he did).


Then back onto the trail.


Encountered a lot of trail users this morning. It was a nice day for biking.






Here is a picture of the C&O Canal Aqueduct from the rail trail.


At this point the canal, rail trail, and highway are each right next to each other.



Later went under a railroad bridge.


Then encountered my first live turtle on the trail. He ducked into my shell when I got close.


Some fishermen were fishing near the turtle too.


The Rail Trail then vectored off into a different direction and I got back on the C&O Canal Trail where I met Marge & Phyllis -- avid hikers and environmentalists. Hikers and bikers are usually environmentalists because they have up close personal experience with our environment :-)


Here is another canal lock.




Some homes across the Potomac.


The canal towpath turned to stone to get around a steep rock cliff. 


Here is a large special lock that also connected to the Potomac.


There were a few steps in the Canal Trail -- which is also known as US Bike Route 50.



Then down the towpath again.



Lots of construction on the path here diverted me onto the streets of a nearby city.



I did not know Shimano did kayaks.


After lunch I headed down a rural road toward Harpers Ferry to make my route a bit shorter as well as faster.


Lots of farms here in Maryland.


Then down a smaller road.


And a yet smaller country lane (single lane).


Here the creek crossed *over* the road. It was quick to ride through this fast running stream and up the hill on the other side.


It was hot and muggy so I stopped at Nutters Ice Cream. Huge delicious portions! Yum! Biking & ice cream are a great pairing.


Lots of old battle sites in this area.


Then back onto the C&O Canal Trail. Here it rides through an aqueduct.



Sad to find an empty plastic water bottle on the trail.


Here the trail was washed out by a creek.


Thankfully a new temporary bridge was put in place to get around the washout.


When I finally got to Harpers Ferry, my Warmshowers.org host Gary took me to a great Thai restaurant where I gave my talk to about 20 people who were waiting for me to arrive. It is great to talk with locals whenever I stop for the night.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis