Day 89 - Providence RI to Wareham MA

Tuesday May 21, Biked 49 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4732. 

Warm, sunny, tailwind -- perfect bicycling weather yet again!

Jess and Drew were fantastic Warmshowers.org hosts! We had dinner at The Grange, an awesome vegetarian restaurant.

Are you a Warmshowers host yet? If not, please consider becoming one. It is an easy and low impact way to meet people from around the world and help our world become a kinder and gentler place. Bicycle touring is the most ecological of all tourism options and bicycle tourists are super friendly :-)



On my bike, I did a final run through downtown Providence.


From a bike path along the water I could see windmills in the distance.


Farewell Providence!


Looking back down on the serpentine bike path that lead me onto... 


... the dedicated bike bridge paralleling Interstate 195 out of Providence.


Ugh. Oil storage tanks.


But soon I was past this and onto beautiful country roads with cute houses, interesting cemeteries, and upstanding churches.

























This rooster mailbox is quite the show off.


Across from it was a self serve egg shop :-)


I love beautiful new virgin pavement -- so smooth! The police were blocking traffic from this road but let me through on my bicycle.


Here is the crew that is finishing up the job.


My route on these pretty country roads had lots of bicycle route signage.



Olivia enjoyed the ride on my front rack.


This residence had many unusual sculptures and buildings.


Beautiful tree!


Angler waiting for a fish to bite.


Very tall reeds.


Beautiful day for fishing and bicycling.


Artistic use of an old tree trunk.




More bicycle route signage.


What bicycle ride is complete without an ice cream stop?



Dick is a retired police officer and Deborah a retired emergency room physician. They live near this ice cream stand but this was their first visit to it!


I've bicycled past a number of cranberry bogs on the east coast including this one.



Horses enjoying the sun and a snack.


Bold mailbox.




An interesting sculpture at the Wareham Free Library.


Steve the reference librarian set up their projector for me.


Bri and Kathy welcomed me to the library.


My talk announcement was on their front door.


My Warmshowers.org hosts keep chickens to eat up all their food scraps and lay eggs. Super eco!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis