Day 86 - New London to Pawcatuck CT

Saturday May 18, Biked 22 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4621. 

Warm and sunny and tailwind!

Christina and her son were also staying at Richard's house that night. Her son really liked Olivia :-)



Richard and me in front of the lighthouse next door. This Warmshowers.org stay had the most spectacular backyard scenery of any that I've stayed in yet. I wish I could have stayed longer and just sit and listen to the waves and watch boats go by.


Here is a good oceanside view of the house that Richard moved to this location. He loves his outdoor shower that you seen on the right.


Down the street from Richard's house is this one with lots of art in its yard.


Going over the bridge I picked up an errant plastic bag that would have otherwise blown into the sea.


Under the highway bridge, some military crews were moving a portable bridge.


Arriving at the Mystic Aquarium, I was stymied for a while trying to figure out how to safely park my bike. The flunkies outside did not know of a way to accommodate a super eco-tourist like me. Aquariums and other public places should reward people for traveling carbon free rather than make their life difficult. I was able to talk to dozens of people about saving our oceans while they waited to buy tickets though.


Eventually I talked to a guest services manager directly and I was able to bring my bike inside to park within an interior hallway. Whew!!!

Olivia has been lending her helping flipper during my talks across the country.


She appreciated their Saving Sea Turtles display.



At their Endangered Species Day table, she met some other preserved turtles.


Olivia also enjoyed the manta rays...


...and sea anemones...


...and tropical fish.


Tom here is a crane operator who helps build subs! You meet the coolest people when you are carrying around a sea turtle :-)


Olivia enjoyed the aquariums white Beluga whales. 


They also have a scientific exploration sub named Turtle.


Dinosaurs seem very popular these days at aquariums. Here Olivia checks out the Triceratops...


... Brontosaurus ...


... and T Rex.


Here is Melanie the helpful guest services manager that found a spot for me to park my bike safely :-)


After leaving the aquarium I passed some very fragrant lilacs.


Olivia enjoyed the sweet scent too.


While considering whether to take a detour into Stonington, Dawn stopped by to say hi. Her son is a big bike tourist as well and also rode across the US.


On my way into Stonington, I saw some pretty flowers.


This is main street in Stonington. Lots of historic buildings and homes with the original occupants name on them from the 1700 and 1800s.


Some bagpipers were preparing for an event nearby.




Darrell, a vietnam vet, had a very cool Chevrolet that he had restored. He is preparing it for a drive down Route 66 and was interested to hear about my ride as well.







After leaving Stonington, I soon reached Pawcatuck.


Rob, Stacey, Jaime, and Jim prepared a feast for us! Warmshowers hosts are simply amazing!


Then to cap it off, Rob had baked a rhubarb pie. It was delicious!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis