Day 96 - Lexington MA to Union of Concerned Scientists and Back

Tuesday May 28, Biked 21 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4997. 

Cool, cloudy, and wet by end of day.

So why am I still riding? Well I mainly bicycle every day to get everywhere and I have a talk scheduled at the Union of Concerned Scientists headquarters in Cambridge :-)

The Minuteman Bikeway was pretty empty well after morning commute hours.



A Lime bike stands ready and waiting along the path.


The Bike Stop looks like a fun place but I have not stopped there yet myself.


A walker with a passel of dogs.


A teacher with her ducklings in tow.


More electric Lime bikes. Lime is in the process of decommissioning their bikes in favor of electric scooters in many regions but e-bikes continue in the Boston area.


There are also docked bike shares at the Alewife T-station but I have not seem many people using these.


Lots of bikes today filling the racks at the Davis Square T Station.



Around Harvard, there are numerous Commencement maps to direct visitors.


I dropped by Glass Flowers, one of my favorite exhibits at the Harvard Natural History Museum.




I also visited the newly opened exhibit there on Climate Change. As expected, it is very well done.





Argo floats now provide excellent ongoing data on climate change in our oceans.






Climate change is bleaching corals and ocean acidification makes it harder for corals to grow.


Much needs to be done. My own family is near zero waste and we have greatly reduced our fossil fuel CO2 waste. We continue to work actively to further reduce our waste as well as CO2 in all ways.


This family from Montreal (Susan, Dennis, and Lia) were happy to hear about my ride across the US and my zero waste efforts and educational talks.


No ride through Harvard Square is complete without a stop at Out of Town News.


Shortly thereafter I arrived at the headquarters of the Union of Concerned Scientists at Two Brattle Square.



After my talk -- talk #253, some of the staff stayed around for a selfie. Pictured here are John and Jennifer who helped me set up this talk as well as two others who are going zero waste but whose names I forgot to write down. 


After my talk, I stopped for a picture with John Harvard. The toes of his shoes are shiny from everyone touching them (supposedly a lucky thing to do) but I avoided this for hygiene reasons :-)


I thought this was the end of my talks, but while bicycling back to Lexington in the rain I met Shana in Arlington and she convinced me to do one last talk -- #254 -- at 1:30pm Wednesday May 29 at the Stratton Elementary School, 180 Mountain Ave, Arlington, MA 02474. Most bicyclists are very friendly and welcoming people! So stay tuned for one more day of riding post before I pack my bike up. Still to come are a number of epilogue posts as well.


If you are reading this, please also see ZeroW.org and donate to my Climate Ride! I'm living Zero Waste and bicycling 5000 miles across the US to talk with people about saving our planet. All funds raised go to 4 bicycling organizations and the Union of Concerned Scientists -- all 501(c)3 charities. Real science gave us all our modern miracles and is crucial for our survival. Bicycling is the most efficient form of transportation yet known to man as well as a great way to stay healthy, meet people, and keep our world green. Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis