Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Monday May 13, Biked 53 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4418. 

Windy, cold, and light to moderate rain all day.

Not much traffic down this coastal highway early in the morning.


Pretty high surf like yesterday. Very strong side winds but not as strong as yesterday's.


There are many coastal mansions in Monmouth, NJ.




All these sea wall stairs are marked as private, no trespassing. In NJ it looks like beaches and coastline can be owned privately unlike CA where all beaches & coastlines must allow public access.


A few pretty blooms but probably not native.


A view of the beach.


My bike on a bike/ped overpass.



Soon after my route went down the Henry Hudson Bike Trail.


It was wonderful! Although I had to squeeze by some rangers and closed section where a tree had broken and was going to fall sooner or later.



Got my ferry ticket.


Ernie and Bruce, two of the workers there were very excited about my trip and mission. 


As was Ali (with Ernie in the picture again).


This ferry company helped rescue people from the plane that crash landed on the Hudson.


The terminal even has a Free Little Library!


On the ferry the captain had told the crew that my bike had to stay outside. I was a bit worried about it in heavy seas, rain, and wind.


Thankfully it survived the rough seas and here we are in calmer water going under the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge.


Now approaching the Wall Street stop where I got off.


Just off the ferry I headed down a bike path. A poor lonely tire was still hanging out on a bike rack, the rest of its bike gone. We need much better bike parking.



This is great that NYC has bike only passages in addition to pedestrian ones.


Alas this group ignored the signage. I dinged my new bike bell a lot to get through the crowd.


Biked by the Smithsonian Indian Museum in NYC.


I met Jennifer from Honduras at Wall Streets Raging Bull.


Here Olivia faced off with the Bull.


Went back down the bike only path to the East River bike way. Very pretty path.



Notice how high the flood waters got here in Manhattan from hurricane Sandy!


There is the UN Headquarters.


And a view of Brooklyn across the river.


Down a 2 way bike lane and around the corner...


...and I arrived in front of UN Headquarters.


Then I visited Times Square.


Here is a Facebook Live Video from Times Square:

Near my classmate Ilene's home, there were some very nice cargo bikes!


And some average bikes. I check out how bikes are locked to gauge risk level.


At Rucola's for dinner, I met Jorge who was very interested in Zero Waste.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis