Day 73 - Washington DC to Columbia MD

Sunday May 5, Biked 30 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4110. 

Cool, windy and rainy all day. I got very wet.

Seth Tucker, one of my classmates, and his family fed and lodged me for 3 nights. Thanks Seth & family!


Here I am setting out in the rain.


Beautiful streets but raining pretty hard.


On the Capitol Crescent Trail I met...


Shahram and Faranak who live in DC now and are originally from Iran. I've met so many wonderful people in DC!


The Capitol Crescent rail trail is fantastic! Wide and smooth.


May 8 is when Rails-to-Trails Conservancy announces the exact route of the Great American Trail. Can't wait!



 Then onto the Matthew Henson Trail. Matthew Henson was an American explorer who accompanied Robert Peary on seven voyages to the Arctic over a period of nearly 23 years. They spent a total of 18 years on expeditions together.


Alas this trail had many wooden bridges that were VERY slippery in the rain.


It also had some very long wooden walkways through the woods and down some hills. I rode very, very slowly.


At last I arrived at the home of my friend Catherine Asaro. She and her math teams have won tons of awards as shown on these walls and on the trophy stand in the distance. 

Catherine is also a fantastic sci-fi author!


Here I am with Catherine and her daughter Cathy.


Comments

  1. I can hardly believe you are almost there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so exciting just reading about your journey; can't even imagine the joy you have living it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been fantastic! Great scenery, great people, and a fabulous natural endorphin high every day!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis