Day 95 - Lexington MA to Aquarium and Back

Monday May 27, Biked 33 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4976. 

Warm & sunny!

A great group of about 30 bicyclists joined me for my final official cross country riding day from Lexington to the New England Aquarium! They guy in orange and holding Olivia is Peter Zacharia who bicycled across the US with me in 1983 as a part of Ride For Life to end world hunger and raise money for Oxfam America.  Also in the front row are Tod Loofbourrow and Eric Bergman who did the cross country ride for Oxfam the following year. In the center just above Peter is Mike Hanauer the former president for the Charles River Wheelmen (how Wheelers) when I was its VP of rides back in the 1980s.


John Allen was the official CRW ride leader. He was my very first bicycle instructor back when we were training to do the 1983 cross country ride. He has also written some excellent bicycling guides (especially Bicycling Street Smarts) and helps maintain SheldonBrown.com (one of the best sources of bicycle info on the internet). Now I am a bicycle instructor as well :-)


Here we are on the Minuteman Bikeway headed to the Aquarium.


At the Aquarium my family and other supporters met me.


Barbara in blue (my last Warmshowers.org host) and her friend also came to cheer me on.


After my talk and lunch, here is another picture of me Olivia and friends next to the Aquarium. Many had ridden just one way to the Aquarium. About a dozen accompanied me back to Lexington with John Allen in the lead now and me riding sweep.


Off we go back to Lexington through Boston than along the Charles River.





Lots of kayakers on the Charles today.





Rode past the Harvard River Houses -- Weld Boat House on the left. Elliot and Winthrop houses on the right.


Another view of Weld Boat House.





After the ride, I popped over to Chestnut Hill using my cousin's electric car to visit my in-laws Anne and Paul.


Anne prepared a wonderful dinner for Patty and me!


Turned out this was not quite the end of my riding on this trip, stay tuned for a few more riding day posts as well as some epilogue posts.


If you are reading this, please also see ZeroW.org and donate to my Climate Ride! I'm living Zero Waste and bicycling 5000 miles across the US to talk with people about saving our planet. All funds raised go to 4 bicycling organizations and the Union of Concerned Scientists -- all 501(c)3 charities. Real science gave us all our modern miracles and is crucial for our survival. Bicycling is the most efficient form of transportation yet known to man as well as a great way to stay healthy, meet people, and keep our world green. Thanks!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis