Day 80 - Point Pleasant Beach to Long Branch NJ

Sunday May 12, Biked 18 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4365. 

Cold, super windy, and pouring rain! But my talk at Jenkinson's Aquarium went very well and I got to feed a harbor seal!

 Before my talk I ate an early lunch at Broadway Bar & Grill and met Justin, a committed Republican and small business owner. Nonetheless, he strongly believes in being a good steward of our environment and protecting it for our kids.


Here is Dan the chef at Broadway Bar & Grill. Originally from San Diego he thought what I was doing was great! Here is the southwest chicken sandwich he made for me. This bar opens at 7am for the fisherman. It really reminded me of the show Cheers. Everyone was so friendly and interested in what I was doing. 


Some of the staff at Jenkinson's Aquarium posed for a picture after my talk there. 


Then they invited me to meet a sea animal up close and personal.

Here is the food that they prepared. 



I had to wash my hands and disinfect my shoes before going into the seal area.


Their seal Lucy is a local celebrity and has lived with them since 1991. Her records indicate that she may have been attacked by a shark or hit by a boat when she was a pup. She was brought to the Marine Mammal Stranding Center in Brigantine, New Jersey for treatment. She is very smart and knows how to target, blow on your hand, spin, and many other behaviors.



Corals worldwide are in danger from Climate Change.




Jenkinson's has a lot of turtles!









The moray eel and sharks posed nicely for some pictures.



Jenkinson's has a very impressive array information panels throughout their aquarium to educate people about the harm humans are doing to our seas and how to do better.  



They also feature Seafood Watch, a program from the Monterey Bay Aquarium (my favorite aquarium near my home in California).


As I left the winds were 20-30 mph with gusts to 40+.



Steady rain alternated with downpours for my entire ride. I got soaked despite my rain gear.


Saw some cool houses though.


Finally arrived in Long Branch at my Warmshowers.org host.


At Sergio's...


...Isabelle treated me to Feijoada.


Isabelle and Fabiula were fabulous hosts!




Comments

  1. It was nice to meet you.
    You're biking for a great cause, that everyone should embrace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is encouraging to see people who support climate change and want to keep the
    planet healthy with positive action.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis