Day 79 - Philadelphia PA to Point Pleasant Beach NJ

Saturday May 11, Biked 74 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4347. 

Sunny and warm! Lots of friendly people today.

It was great to see Betsy Torg, her husband Mark, and their dog Rue. They are all very environmental and grow many vegetables. Their son is a super earth hero and works with Bill McKibben. I have wonderful classmates!




Here I am with Betsy and Mark's Bolt to the side as I head off with Olivia my turtle in the lead.


Heading out I had great weather.



Currently it is not possible to actually bike out of Philadelphia to New Jersey. Had to walk my bike over the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge and in several spots it just barely squeezed through -- this is not an ADA compliant bridge.


Sadly found some Dunkin Donuts trash on the bridge just waiting to be blown into the river.


The bridge currently seems to be held together by lots of clamps.



Riverton NJ was having their annual city wide yard sale day. Trash to treasure! I had a great time talking with Doug, Dori, and their daughter.


Also talked to a bunch of boy scouts.


Lots of people walking and biking around between the yard sales.


Nice wide open street in Jersey.


Lots of big houses in this neighborhood.


In Mount Holly NJ, I happened upon the oldest active volunteer fire company as well as the oldest firehouse in the US. Amazing what you stumble across when bicycling through communities.



Biked down a peaceful rural road.


Rode many "trails" in this neighborhood.


Then got on the Pemberton Rail Trail.



Here it split north and south. I took the one less traveled.


It looked a bit sketchy a first.


But then got better.


On the road again, I whizzed by many pine trees -- a change from all the deciduous earlier in the day. Saw what I think were cranberry bogs too but forgot to take a picture of them.



I have seen so many disposable diapers tossed on the roadside across the US. This is disgusting! These people are so inconsiderate!


I've also seen many turtle road kills on my rides but this is the first I've photographed. Olivia is very sad about this Eastern Painted Turtle.


Over the watershed crest in New Jersey.


Had a great dinner at Luigi's




Comments

  1. wow, what a trip man! Looks like you lost weight since I met you in February.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis