Day 77 - North East MD to Wilmington DE

Thursday May 9, Biked 34 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4225. 

Coolish, cloudy, and a bit of rain.

My Warmshowers.org host Sue Ellen was a kick. She has travelled quite a bit. Those are himalayan prayer flags in the background.


A local highway headed to Wilmington was down to just one lane so I had to take the lane.


It is a big help to have the biggest vehicle possible blocking for you. This tractor trailer was very polite and waited patiently for me to get clear of construction and single lane restriction.


Rode over the train tracks. The high speed Amtrak Acela Express is really loud and scary when it whips by! It was there and gone again before I could get my camera out.


An accidental picture but here is the view from my handle bars :-)




So much history in this area. Lafayette and Washington were here in Elkton.


Near some flowers on the roadside...


...I found yet more McDonald's cups. I returned these to the service counter of the local McDonald's and asked them to stop making trash.



Sad for this bird.


Very orderly trash toters all standing at attention as I rode by.


Glad to be able to follow parts of the East Coast Greenway.


Pretty if narrow bike path.



More history. Another loud Acela roared by just afterwards.


Notice the yellow sign in the lower left corner warning about high speed trains.


The James F Hall Trail was very nice respite from roads.


It also is very well stocked with video monitored blue call boxes.


A nice flowering bush near the call box.


Passed by the Pomeroy and Newark Rail Trail as I continued on the James F Hall trail.




Visited the Newark Free Library...


...but it is closed on Thursdays. :-(


Cruised by the sparkly Newark Arts Alliance on my way to... 


...Viva Bowls where...



...I enjoyed a great Chunky Monkey in my own bowl.


They are now using wood spoons but their containers are still all plastic :-(



Had a great time talking with Delaney (studying Sociology and Criminal Justice) and Sam (studying Marketing & Event Mgmt).


Had a great talk with Sharon outside Pike Creek Chiropractic. She and her husband Robert are cyclists too.


Cool art at the Delaware Children's Museum in Wilmington.


Some cool bird houses around the corner as well.


Their Riverfront Park walkway was relaxing.



Now on my way to the Boys and Girls Club to do a talk.


The middle school and high school in this neighborhood has seen better times.



At the Fletcher Brown Boys & Girls Club at last.


They don't allow bikes inside but that hasn't stopped me before. Plus I'm the featured speaker of the day.



Carmen was a big help in arranging this talk. There are some great books behind us on the shelf as well.


Here are some of the kids who listened to my talk. Hopefully I've inspired some to become Ocean Heroes.


Passed an old mill stone on my way to my Warmshowers.org host for the night.


Nice river trail as well.



Met this woman with outstanding hair on the trail taking photos. Alas I did not write down her name. :-(


Some cool houses in my Warmshowers.org hosts neighborhood.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis