Day 82 - Brooklyn to Huntington NY

Tuesday May 14, Biked 55 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4473. 

Cool and partly cloudy.

Started the day with breakfast at Building on Bond with my classmate Ilene. But I forgot to get a selfie with her before she had to leave :-(



Walking back to her brownstone, I checked out the local recycling set up.





It was trash and recycling pick up day. Looks like clear and blue bags are for recycling. Black for trash.


I did get a selfie with David, Ilene's husband before he left for work. It has been great meeting classmates and their families on my trip across the US. Ilene and David have super cool kids!


Now on the road, it is cloudy and cool.



Biked down an awesome bike & pedestrian way in Prospect Park in Brooklyn. 


It had wide lanes for runners, slow bikes, and fast bikes - wow! :-)


Then continued down another bikeway along Ocean Parkway



Interesting small blue glass apartment building.


And some other older matching brick houses.


I got to the New York Aquarium and those kids in the back really liked my turtle. They listened to a short version of my talk and each wanted one of my business cars.


Darn plastic. This one right in front of the aquarium.


The New York Aquarium did not have any adequate secure bicycle parking so I could not go inside but their guest services people were friendly so I gave them a short zero waste talk.


Here is a historical bathysphere. Amazing that 2 men fit inside this little thing.




Olivia and I faced off with a dinosaur.


Then off I went eventually making it to this great trail and whizzing by stopped traffic on this wide open path.


Olivia and I made a brief visit to the beach.


Then continued on a freshly paved path with great views.







After the path ended, I buzzed through Queens.




Briefly visited one of the very first dedicated children's libraries.




I don't like wheel bender bike racks. We need to get much better bike parking at public places.


Beautiful houses and landscaping near my Warmshowers.org host for the evening



Kilian, Veronica, Thierry their family and friends all got together to eat dinner and hear my talk. What an incredible group of brilliant and vibrant people! All of them are very environmentally aware and some were already going zero waste. They loved my talk and we had a detailed in-depth discussion about zero waste, climate change, and plastics. Kilian and his brother Sean created an excellent non-profit called SailAhead that helps returning military veterans re-integrate with society.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis