Day 74 - Columbia to Baltimore MD

Monday May 6, Biked 23 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4133. 

Warm and sunny all day!


After a bit of riding on roads, hopped onto a bike path.


That took me through woods.


Past a playground.


And over a bridge.


At this classic old diner for lunch...


...I met Caleb and his grandmother Andrea. Caleb is a statistician with the US Census Bureau. Math and science are the key to our future.


Back on roads again, I passed through the cool little town of Ellicott.



Just outside of town I met Alan at a local bike shop. He had done the Adventure Cycling Association Southern Tier ride this spring. He was probably in the group that was in Arizona and New Mexico at the same time I had super strong headwinds and snow. But they were at a higher elevation than me at the time so probably got a lot more snow.


Some interesting local history at a local library.



Back onto a trail again -- the Gwynns Falls Tral! Yay!




Argh. Doritos trash on the trail. Bad for you and the environment.


This trail has little green markers to follow when it goes on sidewalks and through parking lots.


Now in Baltimore. Let's keep it clean!






Bikes and busses share a big wide red lane.


Cool green bike and walk way to the National Aquarium.


Made it! And Olivia enjoyed the Megalodon Shark jaw.


Heard Rose give a shark talk...


...while watching rays and sharks below.


Olivia and I talked to Rachel and Rose after the talk. They were excited about my ride and all the talks I've given to save our world for our kids.



Touched a Moon Jelly. Very cool!


Olivia socialized with other turtles.


Maggie from the aquarium heard about me and found me in the exhibit area. She was super excited about my ride and invited me back the next day to talk to volunteers.


No hands or snouts in this pool -- it has piranhas!


Olivia loved the aquarium and tropical gardens.









Life support systems are crucial. We must do more to protect earth's life support system!







Anna and Scott are web designers who work in a building across from the National Aquarium. They walk to work every day. Yay!


The street in front of my friend Susan's house is deadly for bicyclists. Look at all those metal grooves!


At her house at last with a very friendly welcome mat.


It is beautiful along the walkway outside their home.


Walked past some interesting bike lockers.


Hmmm....


Here is Susan and her husband Paul. They are runners, bicyclists, and triathletes. They fed me very well and are fascinating and extraordinarily friendly people!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis