Day 83 - Huntington to Stony Brook NY

Wednesday May 15, Biked 37 miles. Total mileage by end of day: 4510. 

Warm and sunny and tailwind!

Victoria, Thierry, and their family were AMAZING Warmshowers.org hosts. They fed me dinner breakfast, and their own locally grown hard boiled eggs + sandwiches for lunch! I am eternally grateful for their hospitality and the wonderful things they are all doing for our world. If everyone was a Warmshowers host, our world would be completely at peace and happy.


They have a mini soccer field in their backyard next to their small farm where they raise...


...burros...


... and chickens.


Here is a friendly burro :-)


Off I went leaving Huntington to visit the aquarium at Cold Spring Harbor.


Along the way I met Irem, a French damsel biking to a yoga class. I encouraged her to take the lane on narrow roads rather than hugging the right edge :-)


At the Cold Spring Harbor Fish Hatchery & Aquarium, I talked briefly to two different school groups who were about to take a tour. They all liked Olivia and wanted to save our seas to protect turtles.


Olivia liked all the fish and met lots and lots of different turtles.


Eastern Spiny Softshell Turtle.


Snapping Turtle.


Common Musk Turtle.





Brook Trout.



Lake Trout.


Then off I went again through a variety of neighborhoods back through Huntington NY.




I stopped at Makinajian Organic Farm & Country Store for lunch. What a fantastic place!


They have chickens, ducks, and other farm animals.


I used my Surly to crack my hard boiled eggs that Thierry made for me. Yum!



The owner Christina took my egg shells, banana peel, and food soiled paper wrappings to compost. I bought some organic apples :-)


Back on the road again.


Stopped at a local library to say Hi!



Met librarians Sharon and Nichol.


I saw many Washington Spy Trail signs. Doing the spy trail would be fun some day.


Biked down some very pleasant and smooth roads and past some nice houses.




Until I reached my Warmshowers.org hosts for the evening in Stony Brook.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Ride Around Finland

Day 81 - Long Branch NJ to Brooklyn NY

Day 46 - Byrnes Mill to St Louis